Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Depuis le jour, from "Louise" by Charpentier

(Translation of this month's favorite aria, be it a good two weeks late in posting.)

Since the day
I gave myself,
my fate seems all in flower.
I seem to be dreaming
beneath a fairy sky,
my soul still enraptured
by that first kiss!
What a wonderful life!
My dream was not a dream!
Oh, I am so happy!
Love spreads its wings above me!

In the garden of my heart
a new joy sings!
Everything vibrates,
everything rejoices in my triumph!

About me it is all smiles,
light and happiness!;
And I tremble deliciously
at the delightful memory
of the first day of love!
What a glorious life!

Oh, how happy I am! too happy!...
And I tremble deliciously
at the delightful memory
of the first day of Love!

Sung by Renee Fleming, of course. Her beautiful performance ALMOST takes one's attention away from her hideous outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment